By Agence France-Presse Cleveland Cavaliers forward Kevin Love has committed $100,000 to help workers at the team’s arena and support staff impacted by the suspension of the NBA season. Cleveland Cavaliers forward Kevin Love (0) (Dan Hamilton / USA TODAY Sports) The league, already considering contingencies for the coronavirus pandemic including playing in empty arenas,Continue reading “NBA: Cavs forward Kevin Love pledges $100,000 to support idled arena workers”
Author Archives: markthatmike
Japan says no plans for Olympics without spectators
By Agence France-Presse Japanese government officials insisted Friday they have no plans to alter the Olympics, including holding it without spectators, after US President Donald Trump proposed a delay over the coronavirus (COVID-19). A picture taken on February 26, 2020 shows the Olympics rings next to the IOC headquarters in Lausanne. – The COVID-19 whichContinue reading “Japan says no plans for Olympics without spectators”
NBA: COVID-19 shutdown likely to be ‘at least 30 days’ – Commissioner Adam Silver
By Agence France-Presse NBA commissioner Adam Silver said Thursday the league shut-down because of the coronavirus pandemic is likely to last “at least 30 days.” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver s(Joe Murphy / NBAE via Getty Images/ AFP) That would see the league shuttered through what would have been about the last month of its regularContinue reading “NBA: COVID-19 shutdown likely to be ‘at least 30 days’ – Commissioner Adam Silver”
Francis Casey Alcantara, Thai partner withdraw ITF tourney due to COVID-19 threat
By Kristel Satumbaga Francis Casey Alcantara and Thai partner Wishaya Trongcharoenchaikul withdrew their quarterfinal match in the 1st Qatar Men’s ITF World Tennis Tour in Doha, Qatar on Thursday in light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Francis Casey Alcantara (MB File Photo) In an online interview with the Manila Bulletin, Alcantara said they decided toContinue reading “Francis Casey Alcantara, Thai partner withdraw ITF tourney due to COVID-19 threat”
Worldwide sports collapse piles pressure on Tokyo Olympics
By Agence France-Presse The collapse of sports events worldwide over the rapidly spreading new coronavirus (COVID-19) heaped pressure on the Tokyo Olympics on Friday as US President Donald Trump suggested delaying the Games by a year. A picture taken on February 26, 2020 shows the Olympics rings next to the IOC headquarters in Lausanne. (PhotoContinue reading “Worldwide sports collapse piles pressure on Tokyo Olympics”
ONE Championship: ‘Infinity 2’ event in Manila to be held behind closed doors
By Jan Carlo Anolin The ONE Championship: Infinity 2 event in Manila on May 29 will push through behind closed doors for safety purposes due the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Brandon Vera is set to defend his heavyweight title against former Olympic wrester Arjan Bhullar in a closed-door Infinity 2 event at the Mall ofContinue reading “ONE Championship: ‘Infinity 2’ event in Manila to be held behind closed doors”
Alab Pilipinas, three other teams want ABL to suspend season due to COVID-19
By Jonas Terrado San Miguel Alab Pilipinas and three other teams have asked the ASEAN Basketball League to suspend its season due to the continuous threat of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). San Miguel Alab Pilipinas and three teams have asked the ABL to suspend the season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. (Photo from ABL) AlabContinue reading “Alab Pilipinas, three other teams want ABL to suspend season due to COVID-19”
NBA: Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell tests positive for COVID-19 — report
By Agence France-Presse Utah Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell has tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), ESPN reported Thursday, hours after the network identified teammate Rudy Gobert as the first NBA player to test positive for the virus. Donovan Mitchell #45 of the Utah Jazz (Jesse D. Garrabrant / NBAE via Getty Images / AFP)Continue reading “NBA: Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell tests positive for COVID-19 — report”
ATP suspends men’s tour for six weeks over COVID-19
By Agence France-Presse The ATP announced Thursday it was suspending the men’s tennis tour for six weeks “due to escalating health and safety issues” arising from the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The ATP and WTA tennis tournament in Indian Wells, California, has been cancelled over concerns about the worldwide outbreak of the new coronavirus, organizers saidContinue reading “ATP suspends men’s tour for six weeks over COVID-19”
Philracom: No fans at racetracks starting Mar. 17, only at OTBs
By Jenny Ortuoste In view of the community spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the rising number of confirmed cases, the Philippine Racing Commission released a memorandum on Thursday urging the public to watch and bet on horse races at off-track betting stations (OTBs) and not the racetracks. In this file photo, Victorious ColtContinue reading “Philracom: No fans at racetracks starting Mar. 17, only at OTBs”