By Kristel Satumbaga The Philippine Sports Commission is closely monitoring the health status of its national athletes and coaches in the wake of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. PSC Chairman Butch Ramirez said no athlete or coach has so far tested positive or shown symptoms of the coronavirus (COVID-19). (MB File Photo) PSC chairman Butch RamirezContinue reading “PSC closely monitoring athletes’ health amid COVID-19”
Author Archives: markthatmike
PBA: Alaska coach Jeffrey Cariaso leads drive to help gameday personnel
By Jonas Terrado Alaska coach Jeffrey Cariaso has pledged a donation of P100,000 to PBA employees and arena personnel affected by the postponement of games due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. Alaska coach Jeffrey Cariaso. (PBA Images) Cariaso said he will give P25,000 from his own pocket plus another P25,000 from team governor DickieContinue reading “PBA: Alaska coach Jeffrey Cariaso leads drive to help gameday personnel”
Weightlifting: Joining other OQTs not an option for Hidilyn Diaz
By Waylon Galvez Rio Olympics silver medalist Hidilyn Diaz is not taking any chances for now with regards to joining other Olympic Qualifying Tournaments (OQTs) to earn a spot in the Tokyo Olympics. Hidilyn Diaz (MB File Photo) Diaz said that while there are few more available tournaments in other regions, doing so could be unsafeContinue reading “Weightlifting: Joining other OQTs not an option for Hidilyn Diaz”
PARA Games here reset to October
By Waylon Galvez The ASEAN Para Sports Federation (APSF) Board of Governors (BOG) is pushing through with the 10th ASEAN Para Games after the approval to stage it on October 3 to 9 here. Para-swimmer Ernie Gawilan of the Philippines (photo from PSC-POC media) In a letter dated March 16, 2020, board secretary Osoth BhavilaiContinue reading “PARA Games here reset to October”
‘Putting us in danger’ – athlete concerns grow ahead of Olympics
By Agence France-Presse Olympic pole vault champion Katerina Stefanidi said athletes were being forced to take health risks as competitors started to speak out about holding the Tokyo Games during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis. The logo for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is seen in Tokyo on March 15, 2020. (Photo by CHARLY TRIBALLEAU /Continue reading “‘Putting us in danger’ – athlete concerns grow ahead of Olympics”
Jerwin Ancajas retreats home as PH boxing takes a hit
By Nick Giongco Despite seeing his April 11 fight get postponed, Filipino world champion Jerwin Ancajas is not about to allow himself to abandon training camp. Jerwin Ancajas (Alvin Go) Though he will no longer subject himself to the usual training routine, Ancajas insists he will work out regularly to ensure that he remains inContinue reading “Jerwin Ancajas retreats home as PH boxing takes a hit”
Tokyo Olympics plans ‘insensitive, irresponsible’ – IOC member
By Agence France-Presse International Olympic Committee member Hayley Wickenheiser said Tuesday that vows to press ahead with plans for the Tokyo Games are “insensitive and irresponsible.” Hayley Wickenheiser (Photo by BRUCE BENNETT / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / AFP) Wickenheiser, a member of Canada’s women’s ice hockey team that won four straight Olympic golds betweenContinue reading “Tokyo Olympics plans ‘insensitive, irresponsible’ – IOC member”
Olympic gymnastics qualifier in Tokyo canceled over COVID-19
By Agence France-Presse A Tokyo Olympics gymnastics qualifier next month, which had hoped to feature US superstar Simone Biles among its participants, was cancelled Wednesday as the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic continued to cast a shadow over this year’s Games. US gymnast Simone Biles (Photo by THOMAS KIENZLE / AFP) The Japan Gymnastics Association announced theContinue reading “Olympic gymnastics qualifier in Tokyo canceled over COVID-19”
Second Yankees minor-leaguer tests positive for COVID-19
By Field Level Media-Reuters A second player within the New York Yankees’ minor league system tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), the organization confirmed Tuesday. George M. Steinbrenner Field stands empty as MLB’s spring training remains suspended. (Mary Holt / USA TODAY Sports) The unidentified player’s diagnosis comes on the heels of another Yankees’ minor-leaguer testingContinue reading “Second Yankees minor-leaguer tests positive for COVID-19”
Lakers reportedly under quarantine, will test for COVID-19
By Field Level Media-Reuters Members of the Los Angeles Lakers are under quarantine for 14 days and will be tested for COVID-19, multiple media outlets reported Tuesday. Los Angeles Lakers forward Anthony Davis (3) is congratulated by forward LeBron James (23) against the Golden State Warriors during the first quarter at Chase Center. (Kyle TeradaContinue reading “Lakers reportedly under quarantine, will test for COVID-19”