Manny Pacquiao takes it to the frontline amid COVID-19 pandemic

By Nick Giongco

While acknowledging that the coronavirus (COVID-19) is a formidable foe, fighting senator Manny Pacquiao Saturday vowed to lend a hand to people severely affected by the worsening pandemic.

Manny Pacquiao (MB photo | Czar Dancel)

Manny Pacquiao (MB file photo)

Saying he is “not afraid to die,” Pacquiao told the Manila Bulletin he fears of looting in the coming weeks if the poor and those “living in the streets” don’t get fed.

“Chaos ‘yan. At ito ang kinakakatakutan ko na maaring mangyari,” said Pacquiao, who donated five buses to the government to ferry health workers around Metro Manila.

Pacquiao remains to be the most visible lawmaker making the rounds amid the coronavirus outbreak and the boxing champion insists he won’t lower his guard.

“If you are a leader, you have to be a frontliner,” said the 41-year-old Pacquiao, who is awaiting the arrival of testing kits and face masks from China.

Notwithstanding the serious threats it poses to health, Pacquiao feels it is his duty to risk even his life.

“Leader ka so you have to lead and let people see that you are with them,” he said. “Hindi ka dapat magtago dahil takot ka mamatay.

“I grew up poor kaya I know what they (poor people) feel.”

With the world gripped by the pandemic, Pacquiao’s focus is on public service, which means his boxing career will have to be sidelined for the meantime.

“Ito muna ang bigyan natin ng attention,” he said.

Pacquiao had earlier eyed a ring return in July but given the current situation, his focus has drastically shifted away from boxing to public service.

Source: Manila Bulletin

Leave a comment

Design a site like this with WordPress.com
Get started