Kuala Lumpur lockdown forces Hidilyn Diaz to leave training center

By Waylon Galvez

With Malaysia now also on ‘lockdown,’ Rio Olympics silver medalist Hidilyn Diaz and her team had to vacate the Bukit Posa Training Center in Kuala Lumpur.

Diaz said all athletes and even the staff of the training center were asked to vacate the area.

Hidilyn Diaz and her Team HD of, from left, strenght and conditioning coach Julius Naranjo, massage therapist Belen Bañas and Chinese mentor Kaiwen Gao, wear their face mask while in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (Photo courtesy of Hidilyn Diaz)

Hidilyn Diaz and her Team HD, from left, strength and conditioning coach Julius Naranjo, massage therapist Belen Bañas and Chinese mentor Kaiwen Gao, wear their face mask while in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. (Photo courtesy of Hidilyn Diaz)

“Lockdown na din po kasi dito sa KL for two weeks hanggang March 31. April 1 puwede na po kaming bumalik doon,” said Diaz in a message to The Manila Bulletin late Thursday.

“Ngayon wala na kami sa training center. Lahat din po kasi ng athletes pinauwi… and lahat ng tao sa training center pinaalis na muna,” added Diaz, who has been in the Malaysian capital since last month.

Like in the country, the government of Malaysia has announced lockdown, hoping to contain and eventually end the spread of the deadly novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

Diaz said together with Chinese mentor Kaiwen Gao and strength and conditioning coach Julius Naranjo, they were able to find a place to stay until the lockdown is lifted in Kuala Lumpur.

“Nakahanap naman po ng paraan. Sarado na rin po hotels, swerte nakabook ng Airbnb last minute,” said Diaz.

“Kahit ano man pong situation grateful pa rin kasi nakahawak pa rin ng barbel at naka-training ng maayos,” said Diaz, referring to the last minute workout she had at training camp.

Diaz posted a video on her Instagram account of that workout with a caption: “Panic lift when I learned we had to leave the training center and quarantine for two weeks. Yes, we are in chaotic situation and we don’t stop there, we will conquer this #COVID19.”

She added on the post: “Hold on and we don’t give up. We will fight and pray together.”

//www.instagram.com/embed.js

The 28-year-old Diaz said she is also thinking and praying for the welfare of her family and friends here, particularly her parents Eduardo and Emelita who are in Zamboanga City, which is also on a lockdown.

“Nagm-emessage nanay ko po… mas worried ako sa kanila. Lockdown na rin sa Zamboanga,” she said.

Despite her status in Malaysia, Diaz said she hopes to continue training and by end of the Kuala Lumpur lockdown, she hopes to return to training camp and finish what they have started before returning home by mid-April.

“Hopefully maka-training ako ng maayos after March 31. Tapos yung balik sa Pilipinas, hanggang matapos po siguro ang lockdown sa atin. Now we’ll find ways to continue training… magagaling po coaches ko.”

Source: Manila Bulletin

Leave a comment

Design a site like this with WordPress.com
Get started